Mechanical Engineering is a comprehensive discipline in engineering which involves design, manufacture and maintenance of systems ranging from a simple individual element to a complex system such as space craft. The principal and core subjects of Mechanical Engineering are Energy Conservation & Management, Fluid Mechanics & Machines, Thermal Engg., Machine Design, Manufacturing Processes, Advanced Production Processes, Computer Integrated Manufacturing Processes, and Industrial Engg. & Management, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning, Material Science & Metallurgy, I.C.Engines etc. The scope and job opportunities of Mechanical Engineering spreads in the area of manufacturing industries and other organisations such as Indian Railway, ISRO, Oil Refineries, Power Plants, Vehicle Manufacturing Industries, BHEL, H.M.T, Air ports, etc. Presently, beyond these traditional boundaries, it includes the new area of research such as nanotechnology, Composite materials, Bio-medical applications and Environmental conservation.
About the Department The Mechanical Engineering department of this institution, started right with the inception of the institution in 1966, has reached and attained a unique position as a result of the continuous and devoted effort of all the people of the department throughout the last five decades. Full fledged infrastructural facilities and well qualified faculties & staff are the assets of the department. The department offers three year (6 semesters) diploma programme in Mechanical Engineering. To update the technical status of the students abreast with the latest technological developments, the department conducts seminars and guest lecturer’s classes on the various topics of relevance. A CADD centre equipped with highly updated system software is a speciality of the department. The department has 6 nos. of teaching faculties and 12 nos. of non-teaching staff members
VISIONStriving towards to produce creative Mechanical Engineering professionals, who are innovative & excellent contributors, to rebuild the world.
-Impart high quality education through the advanced teaching-learning methodologies. -Impart exposures to develop practical skill and to understand the latest industrial environment through the practical training classes and Industry Institute Interaction programmes. -Develop and inculcate creativity, values and ethics amongst the students to succeed them in professional as well as in real life situations.
-BASIC WORKSHOP FACILITIES1. Carpentry shop 5. Welding shop
2. Fitting shop 6. Machine shop
3. Sheetmetal shop 7. Smithy shop
4. Foundry shop
-LABORATORY FACILITIES1. Fluid Mechanics Lab. 5. CADD Lab.
2. Fluid Machinery Lab. 6. CNC Lab
3. Heat Engines Lab. 7. B.M.E. Lab
4. I.M.S.Lab 8. Metrology Lab
Hi-Tech Class Rooms
Department has three hi-tech class rooms to conduct the teaching- learning process. Also a fully fledged seminar hall is available to conduct seminars and other co-curricular activities.
Departmental LibraryA departmental library having 200 numbers of technical books is functioning under the supervision of Head of the Department.
Syllabus & CurriculumAn Outcome Based Education (O.B.E.) curriculum prescribed by the State Board of Technical Education, Kerala is being followed.
Students Activities (Students Corner)
- Mechanical Engineering Association
- Fine Arts Club.
- Literary & Debating Club.
- Green Club -N.S.S. activities.
- ALUMNI Association.
- Students Union Activities,
- Sports & Games.
Special Cells & Committees
- Academic Monitoring Committee
- Grievance Redressel Cell
- Industry Institute Interaction Cell
- P.T.A. Committee for each class.
- Career Guidance & Placement Cell
- Sri.MP Satheeshan ,Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering was awarded Gold medal for securing first place in MTech by Punjab University in 2018.
- Sri .P.Vikraman, HOD secured 3 rd rank in MTech (AMD) at Kannur University in 2016.
- Sri. P.V.Chandaran, Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering received the state level award for the best N.S.S. programme officer in 2005.
- Sri.Vinayakumar received state level 2nd rank in the diploma examination in Mechanical Engineering in 1982.
Associated Agencies in organising Co-curricular Programmes.
1.Kerala State Council for Science, Technology & Environment.(KSCSTE)
2. Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE)
3. CADD Centre, Kanhangad.
4. Energy Management Centre, Kerala.